To apply for recognition as an official Geo-Institute Graduate Student Organization, please follow these steps:
Fill out the online GSO application form
When you submit your completed online GSO application form, your information will be conveyed to the G-I staff member serving as liaison to GSOs, Tatiana Vlasova. For your proposed GSO, you will be asked to provide:
- Faculty advisor’s name and contact information (mailing address, phone, and email)
- Sponsoring Department Chair name and contact information (mailing address, phone, and email)
- Mailing address for the GSO
- Mission Statement – What is the long-term goal for your GSO?
- Major Objectives – What steps will you take to achieve your mission?
- Mode of Operation – Who will make decisions about how your GSO will operate? How will it be funded?
- Procedures for Governance – How and when will your leaders be selected?
- Structure Outline – Who are the leaders of your GSP, and what are you calling their roles? (I.e., Chair – or President?)
Send additional items via email
Send the required supplemental items via email to Tatiana Vlasova:
- Letter of support from the chair of the sponsoring department [Sample Letter of Support]
- Faculty advisor’s resume
- GSO Officer titles, names, ASCE/G-I member #, and contact information (mailing address and email)
- List of initial GSO members, including name, email, and ASCE/G-I member #
What happens next?
After your complete application has been received, it will be presented at the next meeting of the Geo-Institute Board of Governors for their approval. The Board meets face-to-face or via teleconference approximately every two months.
Once the Board has approved your application, your advisor will receive a welcome letter and a GSO Membership Certificate. At this time, you can begin to actively run your GSO while arrangements are made to establish it’s presence on the G-I website (or link to your GSO’s existing website, if preferred.)
Contact Tatiana Vlasova.